Northwestern IT is looking for a creative, collaborative Senior Developer to produce software for innovative learning and research projects. This position is part of Northwestern’s Academic Software Development team, a talented group of developers and designers who partner with faculty members and units across the university to create cloud, web, and mobile applications to enable engaged teaching, learning, and research.
This position focuses on back-end programming; however, we are looking for a full-stack developer who is familiar with all stages of the software development lifecycle and is comfortable with both front-end and back-end programming. We welcome applications from a wide range of technical backgrounds and provide training and professional development opportunities.
The position also participates in researching and developing academic applications of emerging technologies such as augmented and virtual reality.
Northwestern IT strongly values diversity in all forms. We encourage women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Please provide a cover letter and resume. Short-listed candidates may be asked to share samples of work.
The Senior Developer participates as a technical expert in designing, developing, coding, testing, and/or debugging of new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software running on a variety of platforms. This role guides and advises junior staff. This position manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. The Senior Developer performs complex system integration tasks. You will directly collaborate with top researchers in grant-funded projects across various domain areas and deliver high-quality creative solutions.
- Plan, design, and deploy cloud-based web applications (AWS or GCP)
- Design, implement, and consume APIs (RESTful or GraphQL).
- Model data with database design best practices (SQL and NoSQL)
- Mentor other developers and supervise student developers.
- Architect and implement CDCI Pipelines using DevOps best practices
- Assist with tier 3 support tickets.
- Actively research industry trends and best practices.
- Familiarity with architecting cloud applications using infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform or Serverless Framework for AWS and/or GCP platforms using best practices for security and business continuity.
- Familiarity with designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting production cloud serverless/docker-based applications with backends written in Node/TypeScript/Python.
- Familiarity with data modeling, access patterns, and implementation of relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases.
- Familiarity with automated testing and CD/CI pipeline orchestration, build tools, and automated testing best practices.
- Familiarity with extending web content management systems with custom modules/plugins/themes (WordPress/CraftCMS/PHP).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and experience.
- Four years of relevant experience or combination of education and experience.
- Experience architecting cloud applications using infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform or Serverless Framework for AWS and/or GCP platforms using best practices for security and business continuity.
- Experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting production cloud serverless/docker-based applications with backends written in Node/TypeScript/Python.
- Experience with data modeling, access patterns, and implementation of relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases.
- Experience with automated testing and CD/CI pipeline orchestration, build tools, and automated testing best practices.
- Experience extending web content management systems with custom modules/plugins/themes (WordPress/Craft CMS/PHP).
- Experience reviewing and merging Git pull requests from team members.
- Experience delivering markup that is web responsive and compliant with WCAG 2.0 Web Accessibility guidelines.
- Experience working collaboratively with UX/UI designers.
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional team.
- Experience developing using Agile project management methodologies.
- Interest in exploring emerging technologies including augmented and virtual reality, applied machine learning solutions, and others.
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.