Job ID: 42590
Northwestern IT’s Academic Software Development team is looking for a creative, collaborative Senior Developer to produce software that advances innovative learning and research projects. The Senior Developer joins a talented group of developers and designers who partner with faculty members and units across the university to create bespoke cloud, web, and mobile applications to enable engaged learning and digital scholarship. The Senior Developer also participates in exploring academic applications of emerging technologies such as augmented and virtual reality.
We are looking for an academically and technically adventurous full stack developer who knows all stages of software development and is comfortable with both front end and back end programming. While we are looking for a full stack developer, this position focuses on back end programming. We welcome applications from a wide range of technical backgrounds and support lifelong learning and professional growth.
Northwestern IT strongly values diversity in all forms. We live our values in our hiring practices and encourage women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Please provide a cover letter and resume. Short-listed candidates may be asked to share samples of work.
The Senior Developer participates as technical expert in designing, developing, coding, testing, and/or debugging of new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software running on a variety of platforms. This role guides and advises junior staff. This position manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. The Senior Developer performs complex system integration tasks. You will directly collaborate with top-researchers in grant-funded projects across various domain areas and deliver high-quality creative solutions.
- Develop cloud-based back end website architecture and applications.
- Design user interactions on web pages.
- Design and develop APIs.
- Ensure use of best practices for development and security.
- Ensure cross-platform optimization for mobile devices.
- Ensure responsiveness of applications.
- Translate mockups from graphic designers to built features.
- Actively research industry trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to perform data modeling, debugging, metadata creation and management, code documentation, and use-case analysis.
- Ability to stand up and administer cloud infrastructure.
- Experience budgeting effort, conducting cost/benefit analysis, evaluating resources, writing project proposals and charters.
- Four years relevant experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor degree or combination of education and experience.
- Experience building NodeJS/Express APIs and Python
- Experience building production cloud serverless applications.
- Experience with data modeling and implementation of relational and non-relational (NoSQL) databases.
- Experience with DevOps and CD/CI pipeline orchestration, build tools, and automated testing best practices.
- Integration and orchestration of workflows via REST and WebSocket webservices.
- Familiarity with client-side libraries Vue and React, CSS preprocessors, HTML5 APIs.
- REST web services.
- Experience developing using Agile Scrum methodologies.
- Experience developing for compliance with WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines.
- Experience extending web content management systems with custom modules/plugins/themes.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- AWS/GCP Certification.
- Interest in exploring emerging technologies including: XR/AR/VR, machine learning and natural language processing.