Northwestern University is investing in innovative teaching, learning, and research. As part of this investment, Northwestern IT Media and Technology Innovation is growing its Academic Software Development team and is looking for two creative, collaborative, Senior Developers. The Senior Developers will join a talented group of engineers, developers, and designers and partner with faculty members, Northwestern Libraries, and units across campus to produce software that advances the academic mission of the university. Current priorities include web and mobile applications to enable engaged learning, digital scholarship, analytics-driven student success initiatives, and exploring academic uses of augmented and virtual reality.
We are looking for academically and technically adventurous full stack developers who know all stages of software development and are comfortable with both front end and back end programming. We recognize that individuals might have greater experience in one or the other of these areas. We welcome applications from a wide range of technical backgrounds and support lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Northwestern IT strongly values diversity in all forms. We live our values in our hiring practices and encourage women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
- Please provide a cover letter and resume. Short-listed candidates may be asked to share samples of work.
The Senior Developer participates as technical expert in design, development, coding, testing, and/or debugging of new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software running on a variety of platforms. This role guides and advises junior staff. This position manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. The Senior Developer performs complex system integration tasks. You will directly collaborate with top-researchers in grant-funded projects across various domain areas and deliver high-quality creative solutions.
- Develop front end or back end website architecture and applications.
- Design user interactions on web pages.
- Design and develop APIs.
- Ensure use of best practices for development and security.
- Ensure cross-platform optimization for mobile phones.
- Ensure responsiveness of applications.
- Translate mockups from graphic designers to built features.
- Actively research industry trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to perform data modeling, debugging, metadata creation and management, code documentation, and use-case analysis.
- Ability to stand up and administer cloud infrastructure.
- Experience budgeting effort, conducting cost/benefit analysis, evaluating resources, writing project proposals and charters.
- Four years relevant experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor degree or combination of education and experience.
- Experience building NodeJS/Express APIs.
- Experience building production serverless applications.
- Experience with data modeling and implementation of relational and non-relational (NoSQL) databases.
- Experience with CD/CI pipeline orchestration, build tools, and automated testing best practices.
- Integration and orchestration of workflows via REST and WebSocket webservices.
- Familiarity with client-side libraries Vue and React, CSS preprocessors, HTML5 APIs.
- REST web services.
- Experience developing using Agile Scrum methodologies.
- Experience developing for compliance with WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines.
- Experience extending web content management systems with custom modules/plugins/themes.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- AWS Certification.
- Interest in exploring emerging technologies including: XR/AR/VR, machine learning and natural language processing.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.